To make a delicious turkey, you don’t need to heat the oven. We are so glad you tried this simple recipe. You just need to make a simple brown sugar rub and coat the meat. Then, let the Crock-Pot take care of the rest. This way your oven can handle more important tasks such as pumpkin pie or sweet potato casserole.
Turkey breast is extremely lean so roasting whole birds is a risky business. You risk eating some uncooked meat if you don’t brine the bird. Our slow-cooker method guarantees moist meat every time.
How big is my turkey breast?
This recipe can be used with any size turkey breast, as long as it fits into your slow cooker. Depending on your appetite, a typical bone-in turkey breast purchased at the grocery store will serve between 2 and 4 people.
Don’t forget the rub.
This bird should be delicious! It is rubbed with a simple seasoning mix of brown sugar and chili powder.
This step adds more flavor: Make a simple broth with chicken stock, soy sauce (for umami flavor) and honey. Pour it into the slow cooker’s bottom.
After the bird is slow-cooked, you will want to cook the skin. It’s worth it. Once you are ready to serve, heat the broiler and bake your skin for 3-4 minutes.
Make gravy with drippings.
The juices that remain in your slow cooker should not be thrown away! Use them in a gravy to serve with your turkey. Add them to a measuring cup. Continue adding chicken broth until you have two cups. Mix equal amounts of butter and flour in a large skillet. Heat on medium heat until the mixture becomes thick. Mix 1/2 cup of liquid into the skillet. Whisk to combine. Next, slowly add the remaining liquid in small batches until there are no lumps. Let it simmer until it reaches the desired consistency. Then, pour into a gravy vessel or other serving vessel.
Use a frozen turkey breast
It should be kept in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours to allow it to thaw.
Are you looking for leftover ideas? Give this sinful turkey casserole or our Turkey tetrazzini a shot.
Did you manage it? Comment below to let us know your thoughts.
(about 6 lb.) Room temperature, bone-in, skinless turkey breast
Packed light brown sugar
Freshly ground black pepper
low-sodium chicken broth
low-sodium soy sauce
Freshly chopped parsley
- Use cooking spray to grease a large slow cooker. Make a long piece of aluminum foil and roll it into a rope. Then, fold the rope into an oval. Put in slow cooker.
- Mix together brown sugar, chili powder and garlic powder in a small bowl. Use paper towels to dry the turkey. Season generously with salt & pepper. Place turkey breast-side up in slow cooker.
- Mix together the chicken broth, soy sauce and honey in a bowl and then pour it into a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours until the thermometer in the thickest part reads 165deg
- Heat broiler. Broil the turkey on a baking sheet. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with parsley.