It’s amazing how a few ingredients can combine to make something delicious. Rice Krispie treats are one such magical ingredient combination. These four ingredients are all very simple, but when combined, they create something new and magical that’s both melt-in-your-mouth, soft and chewy, and light and crispy. They are just perfect. I prefer to make them softer so the marshmallow melts inside the rice cereal. These babies won’t make your mouth water! These marshmallowy babies are soft and gooey!
HOW TO KEEP RICE KRISPIE TREATS SOFT
Nothing is worse than rice Krispie treats that are too hard. These tips will ensure that your rice Krispie treats taste delicious and are soft.
- Use enough marshmallows. Follow the recipe below.
- Make sure to use fresh marshmallows. You can make rice Krispie treats softer if they aren’t dry enough.
- Do not overcook butter and marshmallows. Sugars will become harder as they cook longer. Cook the butter and marshmallow mixture until the marshmallows are melted to keep your treats soft.
HOW TO STORE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
Rice Krispie treats are best kept at room temperature for two days or in the fridge for approximately five days. If you are like me, and you want them to last longer, you can freeze them in an oven-safe container for up to 3 months. I take one at a time and let them thaw at room temp for about 10-15 minutes before getting on to the next thing. 🙂
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD?
I love adding ins to any recipe. Even something so simple like rice Krispie treats has so many customization options! These are some fun ways to create new flavours.
- Rainbow sprinkles and almond extract for birthday cake-flavoured treats
- For smores-flavoured treats, replace some rice cereal with golden grain cereal. Add chocolate chips and more mini marshmallows to the mix.
- Add peanut butter to the melted marshmallows. Sprinkle chocolate on top
- Cocoa pebbles can be used in place of plain rice Krispie cereal. Stir cocoa powder into the melted marshmallows
- Mix crushed Oreo cookies with the cream to make a “cookies-and-cream” treat
- Mix in peppermint extract to the melted marshmallows. Stir in white chocolate chips.
RICE KRISPIE TREATS
These rice Krispie treats are delicious and melt-in-your-mouth good!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Cool time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 6 Tbsp butter (salted), $0.0.60
- 6 cups mini marshmallows (10oz. package) ($1.00)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract ($0.14)
- 4 cups rice krispie cereal ($0.56)
- Cover an 8×8 inch dish with foil or waxed paper and lightly coat it in oil.
- Place the butter in a saucepan and heat on medium heat.
- After the butter has melted, add the marshmallows to the butter and stir until melted.
- After the marshmallows have melted, take the pot off the heat. Add the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the rice Krispie cereal until it is well coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Use a light oil spatula to press the Rice Krispie mix into the prepared dish. Do not over-compress the treats.
- Let the treats cool in the fridge or at room temperature until they are firm. Cut into 9 pieces, then serve.