Another super simple meal prep is here! This Cajun Sausage and vegetable meal preparation follows the same basic protein + vegetable formula and is extremely easy to prepare. If you want to make the meal more substantial or fancy, I have suggestions below.
You can substitute other vegetables for the ones I used in this recipe. These are just a few options:
- Green Beans
- Brussels sprouts
You may pre-steam more hearty vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts, for a few moments to ensure they become tender.
This recipe uses Andouille sausage. It is full of herbs, spices and smoky flavours that add flavour to the dish. Although you can substitute the sausage with shrimp or chicken thighs for the meat, I recommend coating the shrimp or chicken with a lot of Cajun Seasoning, as they don’t come with seasonings.
BULK IT UP
These Cajun Sausage & Vegetables can be served over rice if you are looking for carb action to keep your stomach full. You can add herbs and spices to your rice or cook it in broth for even more flavour.
You can also serve the sausage and vegetables on top of pasta. Penne is a good choice. To enhance the flavour of the pasta, you can serve it with a vinaigrette. The Smoky Vinaigrette I used in my Smoky Roasted Sausage & Vegetables Recipe would be great.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
Meal preps like this usually last for around four days. However, it all depends on how fresh the vegetables are and how long they have been cooked. I prepared this recipe to reheat later to prevent the vegetables from becoming soggy while they sit in the fridge. They will wilt naturally over time, so it is best to undercook them slightly.
CAJUN SAUSAGE & VEGETABLES
This Cajun Sausage and vegetable meal preparation is quick, simple, delicious, and flavorful!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 zucchini ( 1/2 lb.) ($0.72)
- 1 yellow squash (1/2 lb. ($0.70)
- 1 red bell pepper ($1.50
- 1 red onion ($0.28)
- 14 oz. Andouille sausage* ($3.33)
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, divided ($0.08)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Parsley ($0.20).
- Cut the yellow squash and zucchini into halves. The red bell peppers and red onions can be cut into strips. All of the vegetables should be combined in a large bowl.
- Cut the sausage into rounds. In a large skillet, heat the sausage and 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. The sausage should be cooked on medium heat until it is golden brown. Take the skillet off the heat and place the sausage in a bowl.
- Toss the vegetables in the remaining 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Then sprinkle the cayenne pepper and smoked paprika over the top. Toss the vegetables in oil and spices.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and place the skillet back on the heat. Once the skillet is very hot, add your vegetables and cook until tender. You can let the vegetables absorb the flavours from the sausage by not cleaning the skillet. Don’t overcook your vegetables. They will cook faster when you reheat them.
- Turn off the heat in the skillet and add the chopped Parsley and cooked sausage to the vegetables. Mix the vegetables. Give the sausage and vegetables some time to taste. Adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Serve immediately, divide the mixture into four portions and chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat.
*If Andouille sausage is unavailable in your area, substitute any other smoked sausage like kielbasa.